BURMESE TRANSLATION - For Those Who Love High Quality Service
My Blog

The Chaos of Direct Translation

The Chaos of Direct Translation

"The heart is broken"

Would you translate this expression into Burmese as "the heart is broken? If you do Burmese people will laugh at you. This is literal translation, in other word, direct translation without considering the cultural norm or the common usage of Burmese language.  In consistence with Burmese cultural norm and usage it has to be translated as;

"The liver is broken."

Yes, it's the liver, not the heart that is broken when your loved one leaves you for the one who is younger, prettier and smarter than you. So you're left with the broken liver, but it is  broken heart for an English person.

Likewise, when you see "the liver is broken" in Burmese you need to convert it into English as "the heart is broken." If you direct translate it as "the liver is broken" into English, the English people will definitely laugh at you as well.   As a translator I have seen many direct translations in my life when I did checking/proofreading the translations done by other translators. This probably prompts me to write this interesting article.

Let's see another example.

"She is over the moon."   Do you know what would it be if we direct translate this expression into Burmese? I am quite sure that it would be a total chaos. The equivalent translation is "she is happy."

Translation is not verbatim, word for word translation. Translation is the process of converting the same message into the other language. The message should be complete and it should not be added with new idea and also should not be subtracted. Most translators called it NANS, Nothing Added, Nothing Subtracted. Quote: [Translator shall not alter, make addition to or omit anything from their assigned work (AUSIT, Australian Institute of Interpreters and Translators)].

The message should be the complete rendition of the original message. Quote: [Translate original message faithfully to satisfy the needs of the end user (ATA, American Translators Association)].

The translated message must satisfy the original message. Quote: [Guarantee that translation is a faithful rendering of the original (UN, United Nations)].

Let's see another example.

"I love you to the moon and back."

Again, what would it be if we direct translate this expression into Burmese? Wow, I am quite sure that it would be a beautiful disaster. The equivalent translation is "I love you more than anything."

Here are a few direct translations which are odd in appearance and absurd in the view point of cultural norms.   Please fill in the table with more examples of your experiences. I'll add more in the table later. Thank you.

10 Comments to The Chaos of Direct Translation:

Comments RSS
Jeff Marlon on Saturday, 8 March 2014 4:26 PM
I am really laughing while readying that the translation of "The heart is broken" is "The liver is broken" :-) Really if it is true then it is very interesting to the English people.
Reply to comment

Windows 7 Professional SP1 on Thursday, 8 December 2016 5:35 PM
windows 10 key sale online , buy key window 7 professional , windows 10 activation in parallels , windows home server key shop , buy Office professional 2016 product key online , windows 7 ultimate product key , sharepoint 2010 server genuine key , windows 10 activation code free , sEivo1
office pro 2016 buy
windows 10 product keys and iso download
Genuine windwos 7 pro keys and download
windows server 2016 essentials key sale online
buy cheap windows 10 professional product key

sale Windows 8.1 Professional key on Friday, 30 December 2016 12:52 PM
get windows server 2016 keys discount , free windows 7 ultimate product key that works? , window 7 key gen , windows 7 professional , office project 2016 , buy window 7 product key , sql server 2008 r2 standard product key , windows xp pro , lqgJ88
windows 7 ult key sale online
buy windows 8.1 pro keys
cheap windows 10 pro keys for sale
windows server 2016 standard key and download
get windows 7 product keys online

Tony Latt on Sunday, 9 March 2014 1:55 PM
Yes, Jeff. It is. Don't you believe me?
Reply to comment

Hindi Translation on Tuesday, 8 April 2014 6:04 PM
I like the way which you are using to share these informative blogs. I am following your blogs and always found some interesting posts that urged me to write something.
Reply to comment

legal translation services on Saturday, 23 August 2014 5:54 PM
I like the way which you are utilizing to impart these instructive sites. I am after your websites and constantly discovered some fascinating presents that urged me on compose something.
Reply to comment

toptransitsuburbs.com on Wednesday, 12 April 2017 2:05 AM
I have known a lot of reading about "The Chaos of Direct Translation" what I was searching to know. As a reader, I appreciate all the things as mentioned above in detail. By the way, I will share this on my twitter to see my followers. Thank you so much and keep posting things like this. Have a good day!
Reply to comment

atouchfromtheheart on Friday, 26 May 2017 7:46 AM
Reply to comment

tem on Wednesday, 9 August 2017 2:58 PM
Ese es el post muy agradable que has compartido con nosotros. Realmente me gustó. Por favor, continúe compartiendo más y más información. abcya | friv | run 3 | pbs kids
Reply to comment

Robart on Tuesday, 30 January 2018 9:42 PM
I have seen many posts with topic The Chaos of Direct Translation but this post is one of the best post. Thank you very much for it and carry on it. heavy duty shelving
Reply to comment