BURMESE TRANSLATION - For Those Who Love High Quality Service
My Blog

The Chaos of Direct Translation

The Chaos of Direct Translation

"The heart is broken"

Would you translate this expression into Burmese as "the heart is broken? If you do Burmese people will laugh at you. This is literal translation, in other word, direct translation without considering the cultural norm or the common usage of Burmese language.  In consistence with Burmese cultural norm and usage it has to be translated as;

"The liver is broken."

Yes, it's the liver, not the heart that is broken when your loved one leaves you for the one who is younger, prettier and smarter than you. So you're left with the broken liver, but it is  broken heart for an English person.

Likewise, when you see "the liver is broken" in Burmese you need to convert it into English as "the heart is broken." If you direct translate it as "the liver is broken" into English, the English people will definitely laugh at you as well.   As a translator I have seen many direct translations in my life when I did checking/proofreading the translations done by other translators. This probably prompts me to write this interesting article.

Let's see another example.

"She is over the moon."   Do you know what would it be if we direct translate this expression into Burmese? I am quite sure that it would be a total chaos. The equivalent translation is "she is happy."

Translation is not verbatim, word for word translation. Translation is the process of converting the same message into the other language. The message should be complete and it should not be added with new idea and also should not be subtracted. Most translators called it NANS, Nothing Added, Nothing Subtracted. Quote: [Translator shall not alter, make addition to or omit anything from their assigned work (AUSIT, Australian Institute of Interpreters and Translators)].

The message should be the complete rendition of the original message. Quote: [Translate original message faithfully to satisfy the needs of the end user (ATA, American Translators Association)].

The translated message must satisfy the original message. Quote: [Guarantee that translation is a faithful rendering of the original (UN, United Nations)].

Let's see another example.

"I love you to the moon and back."

Again, what would it be if we direct translate this expression into Burmese? Wow, I am quite sure that it would be a beautiful disaster. The equivalent translation is "I love you more than anything."

Here are a few direct translations which are odd in appearance and absurd in the view point of cultural norms.   Please fill in the table with more examples of your experiences. I'll add more in the table later. Thank you.

31 Comments to The Chaos of Direct Translation:

Comments RSS
Jeff Marlon on Saturday, 8 March 2014 4:26 PM
I am really laughing while readying that the translation of "The heart is broken" is "The liver is broken" :-) Really if it is true then it is very interesting to the English people.

best resume review on Tuesday, 2 October 2018 11:15 PM
Understanding the language of others is very important to avoid misunderstanding. Translating a message into another language is not that easy. It may have different meaning. Translating something does not mean converting it word for word, it should have the same thought. That is why we should respect others' language because we came from different cultures and have different views. Thus, understanding others is to communicate with them effectively. Language is not a barrier if we are open to learn how to understand and know the cultures of others.

Tony Latt on Sunday, 9 March 2014 1:55 PM
Yes, Jeff. It is. Don't you believe me?

Hindi Translation on Tuesday, 8 April 2014 6:04 PM
I like the way which you are using to share these informative blogs. I am following your blogs and always found some interesting posts that urged me to write something.

legal translation services on Saturday, 23 August 2014 5:54 PM
I like the way which you are utilizing to impart these instructive sites. I am after your websites and constantly discovered some fascinating presents that urged me on compose something.

toptransitsuburbs.com on Wednesday, 12 April 2017 2:05 AM
I have known a lot of reading about "The Chaos of Direct Translation" what I was searching to know. As a reader, I appreciate all the things as mentioned above in detail. By the way, I will share this on my twitter to see my followers. Thank you so much and keep posting things like this. Have a good day!

ProEssays on Friday, 27 April 2018 11:06 PM
Thank you for this post.

Expert literature review help on Monday, 4 June 2018 5:13 PM
I also don't know what would have happened if directly translated into Burmese

writingcollegeessays on Wednesday, 6 June 2018 6:23 AM
Academic writing is clear, concise, focussed, structured and backed up by evidence. Its purpose is to aid the reader’s understanding. It has a formal tone and style, but it is not complex and does not require the use of long sentences and complicated vocabulary. Each subject discipline will have certain writing conventions, vocabulary and types of discourse that you will become familiar with over the course of your degree. However, there are some general characteristics of academic writing that are relevant across all disciplines.

http://thesisacknowledgement.net/ on Monday, 25 June 2018 5:08 AM
Basically, the technology essay replicates the structure and the main principles of a standard essay with a few peculiarities of its own. We offer you to study the procedure of writing the technology essays on a concrete example. Let's suggest your topic sounds something like "Influence of Modern Technology on Society". The goal of your custom essay is to describe and discuss complicated relations between technology and society. You are to clarify how some particular technology affects people. You are free to illustrate the influence on any sphere of modern life that your technology has affected most. First of all, people describe technology as ever-changing. Today new innovations become obsolete fast. People have become increasingly competitive and every year, new ideas and technologies are released to challenge the ones in the market. In a few months, a piece of technology can be released to the market and almost immediately rival companies will as well release theirs. Technological ideas keep getting unleashed as the world becomes more involved in exploring and utilizing the resources nature provides. Nothing seems to survive this fast paced world and unless one maintains the pace and moves with the wave, they get left behind..Read more about technology at http://thesisacknowledgement.net/

Joson Froster on Thursday, 12 July 2018 3:08 AM
If you feel that you need help when it comes to writing sociology papers then we could help you. Here at Teenage Suicide essay we have some of the best professional writers that are ready and waiting to make your academic writing very much easier. In fact, we can take all the stress and hard work out of writing, so that you are free to get on with whatever else you choose to do You may decide to try and buy a sociology research paper online somewhere but you need to be aware of some things. Those sites will offer sociology papers for sale but they have been sold to hundreds of other people. You have no idea where those papers came from and who wrote them. You do not know the academic level of the writer and chances are you will have to spend time tweeking the paper to your professor’s specifications. For that kind of hassle you might as well just write the paper yourself.

Alisse on Thursday, 19 July 2018 7:22 PM
Many thanks for this post.I am a writer and write essays and research articles, if interested, visit my website- https://homeworkfor.me/.

loemrntdherid1 on Monday, 23 July 2018 5:17 PM
Now this is hghly recommeded post for me. I will surely email this to my friend.RegardsLoop polo shirts

tellthebell survey on Thursday, 16 August 2018 10:24 PM
Spoken Burmese is remarkably uniform among Burmese speakers,[7] particularly those living in the Irrawaddy valley, who all use variants of Standard Burmese. The first major reason for the uniformity is the traditional Buddhist monastic education system, which encouraged education and uniformity in language throughout the Upper Irrawaddy valley, the traditional homeland of the Bamar people.

WritingPaperSucks on Friday, 17 August 2018 7:49 AM
I do my own research on different writing services, place some orders there and share my feedback with you, visit my site WritingPaperSucks

Netcut Pro apk on Tuesday, 21 August 2018 7:02 PM
Netcut Pro apk 5 dgdsgdhdhdfhdhh fjfgghk jk

Denil Wolter on Sunday, 26 August 2018 6:35 AM
The main purpose of education is to help students gain the knowledge and skills so that they will be able to function in society. Students need to be provided with the necessary skills so that they can learn to become productive citizens. There are many advantages that are associated with receiving an education. Students will be able to contribute to their community and help make it a better place to live. Education basically helps shape society because it helps students learn to become more sociable and helps them develop relationships with their peers. Students will be more qualified for different job positions if they have a good solid education. Education is vital to each student’s life, therefore, by working hard to provide the best instruction possible will help train students to become future leaders and will lead to a better life. Education is essential to every student’s life as well as their future. Students can have a prosperous life by receiving a good quality education. My thoughts are that students need to learn from the books along with other various materials just as I did while growing up. The classroom curriculum should be decided by their teacher and the teacher should set clear goals as to what is expected from the students. Students should work hard to achieve their goals because it will certainly be worth it in the end. According to essentialism, ‘Schools should not radically try to reshape society but schools should transmit traditional moral values and intellectual knowledge that students need to become model citizens’. Read about education help at ROLE OF PARENTS IN SCHOOLING . The school should stress the importance of values because some children are not taught these at home. Teaching children good values helps build their character and helps them become respectable people. In regards to education, I think society is important because this is a place where we all live so we should work to make it a better place.

Online Assignment Help on Friday, 31 August 2018 4:38 PM
It’s really a very nice article amazing in fact. For students help you just look at the Assignment help given by the assignment experts. Opting for our Online Assignment Help could be ideal for such students and they can get a complete assignment solution n from us.

best coursework writing company on Tuesday, 4 September 2018 10:43 PM
One of the most relevant things about this post is that it is professionally written, and the information shared is suitable for all kinds of people. Kindly keep on sharing. We are one of the most reliable coursework writing firms, where you are bound to find the most reliable services. We never offer low-quality help, thus work with us for guaranteed professionalism

James Rogla on Wednesday, 12 September 2018 8:06 PM
Its really very helpful post you have shared in this website. Many people get benefits from this. I am really very thankful for this helpful post. rubber matting

johnsmith on Monday, 17 September 2018 10:53 PM
I am very glad to visit the different posts here. All the post are very interesting and impressive. Its really very good and informative too. I surely visit this website again to get more interesting posts like this. Keep sharing. trolley wheels for sale Click here to get

Make My Cold Fusion on Wednesday, 26 September 2018 8:14 PM
Such A Nice Post, Keep Providing Good Resources.

Mesothelioma And Asbestos Lawyers on Wednesday, 26 September 2018 9:02 PM
The Leading Assignment Help UK Firm Offers State Of The Art Services To Its Clients With A Promise Of Delivering All The Required Work Well Within The Deadline.

getapk on Thursday, 4 October 2018 6:45 PM
getapk market get apk market apk market get apk getapk Download your favourite Android Apps for Free on GetApk. You can ...

1 dollar domain on Saturday, 6 October 2018 10:39 PM
This is the amazing post that you add.

Mihail337 on Monday, 22 October 2018 7:48 AM
In the healthcare business, nurses are finding that individuals who have pursued an RN-BSN diploma program tend to be times prepared to proceed from traditional patient care to distinct roles in the health care sector. You can read more at here

https://drasticdsemulator.co/ on Friday, 2 November 2018 8:20 PM
d to be times prepared to proceed from traditional patient care to distinct roles in https://drasticdsemulator.co/ 10

EssayTopicsGenerator on Saturday, 10 November 2018 1:59 AM
I found your posts very interesting! Nice information) And if you're going to write, I want to show you one usefull tool - EssayTopicsGenerator - this assistance tool generates topics for main theme. check it!

Lawrence Todd Maxwell on Saturday, 17 November 2018 10:17 PM
I admire people who keep sharing valuable stories through great writing. I'm glad to have read this blog. Thanks and hope to read more soon.

shareit on Sunday, 25 November 2018 6:36 PM
shareit install shareit shareit download shareit app who have pursued an RN-BSN diploma program tend to be times prepared to proceed

new year wallpapers on Wednesday, 5 December 2018 5:48 PM