BURMESE TRANSLATION - For Those Who Love High Quality Service
My Blog

The Chaos of Direct Translation

The Chaos of Direct Translation

"The heart is broken"

Would you translate this expression into Burmese as "the heart is broken? If you do Burmese people will laugh at you. This is literal translation, in other word, direct translation without considering the cultural norm or the common usage of Burmese language.  In consistence with Burmese cultural norm and usage it has to be translated as;

"The liver is broken."

Yes, it's the liver, not the heart that is broken when your loved one leaves you for the one who is younger, prettier and smarter than you. So you're left with the broken liver, but it is  broken heart for an English person.

Likewise, when you see "the liver is broken" in Burmese you need to convert it into English as "the heart is broken." If you direct translate it as "the liver is broken" into English, the English people will definitely laugh at you as well.   As a translator I have seen many direct translations in my life when I did checking/proofreading the translations done by other translators. This probably prompts me to write this interesting article.

Let's see another example.

"She is over the moon."   Do you know what would it be if we direct translate this expression into Burmese? I am quite sure that it would be a total chaos. The equivalent translation is "she is happy."

Translation is not verbatim, word for word translation. Translation is the process of converting the same message into the other language. The message should be complete and it should not be added with new idea and also should not be subtracted. Most translators called it NANS, Nothing Added, Nothing Subtracted. Quote: [Translator shall not alter, make addition to or omit anything from their assigned work (AUSIT, Australian Institute of Interpreters and Translators)].

The message should be the complete rendition of the original message. Quote: [Translate original message faithfully to satisfy the needs of the end user (ATA, American Translators Association)].

The translated message must satisfy the original message. Quote: [Guarantee that translation is a faithful rendering of the original (UN, United Nations)].

Let's see another example.

"I love you to the moon and back."

Again, what would it be if we direct translate this expression into Burmese? Wow, I am quite sure that it would be a beautiful disaster. The equivalent translation is "I love you more than anything."

Here are a few direct translations which are odd in appearance and absurd in the view point of cultural norms.   Please fill in the table with more examples of your experiences. I'll add more in the table later. Thank you.

14 Comments to The Chaos of Direct Translation:

Comments RSS
Jeff Marlon on Saturday, 8 March 2014 4:26 PM
I am really laughing while readying that the translation of "The heart is broken" is "The liver is broken" :-) Really if it is true then it is very interesting to the English people.

Tony Latt on Sunday, 9 March 2014 1:55 PM
Yes, Jeff. It is. Don't you believe me?

Hindi Translation on Tuesday, 8 April 2014 6:04 PM
I like the way which you are using to share these informative blogs. I am following your blogs and always found some interesting posts that urged me to write something.

legal translation services on Saturday, 23 August 2014 5:54 PM
I like the way which you are utilizing to impart these instructive sites. I am after your websites and constantly discovered some fascinating presents that urged me on compose something.

toptransitsuburbs.com on Wednesday, 12 April 2017 2:05 AM
I have known a lot of reading about "The Chaos of Direct Translation" what I was searching to know. As a reader, I appreciate all the things as mentioned above in detail. By the way, I will share this on my twitter to see my followers. Thank you so much and keep posting things like this. Have a good day!

ProEssays on Friday, 27 April 2018 11:06 PM
Thank you for this post.

Expert literature review help on Monday, 4 June 2018 5:13 PM
I also don't know what would have happened if directly translated into Burmese

writingcollegeessays on Wednesday, 6 June 2018 6:23 AM
Academic writing is clear, concise, focussed, structured and backed up by evidence. Its purpose is to aid the reader’s understanding. It has a formal tone and style, but it is not complex and does not require the use of long sentences and complicated vocabulary. Each subject discipline will have certain writing conventions, vocabulary and types of discourse that you will become familiar with over the course of your degree. However, there are some general characteristics of academic writing that are relevant across all disciplines.

http://thesisacknowledgement.net/ on Monday, 25 June 2018 5:08 AM
Basically, the technology essay replicates the structure and the main principles of a standard essay with a few peculiarities of its own. We offer you to study the procedure of writing the technology essays on a concrete example. Let's suggest your topic sounds something like "Influence of Modern Technology on Society". The goal of your custom essay is to describe and discuss complicated relations between technology and society. You are to clarify how some particular technology affects people. You are free to illustrate the influence on any sphere of modern life that your technology has affected most. First of all, people describe technology as ever-changing. Today new innovations become obsolete fast. People have become increasingly competitive and every year, new ideas and technologies are released to challenge the ones in the market. In a few months, a piece of technology can be released to the market and almost immediately rival companies will as well release theirs. Technological ideas keep getting unleashed as the world becomes more involved in exploring and utilizing the resources nature provides. Nothing seems to survive this fast paced world and unless one maintains the pace and moves with the wave, they get left behind..Read more about technology at http://thesisacknowledgement.net/

Joson Froster on Thursday, 12 July 2018 3:08 AM
If you feel that you need help when it comes to writing sociology papers then we could help you. Here at Teenage Suicide essay we have some of the best professional writers that are ready and waiting to make your academic writing very much easier. In fact, we can take all the stress and hard work out of writing, so that you are free to get on with whatever else you choose to do You may decide to try and buy a sociology research paper online somewhere but you need to be aware of some things. Those sites will offer sociology papers for sale but they have been sold to hundreds of other people. You have no idea where those papers came from and who wrote them. You do not know the academic level of the writer and chances are you will have to spend time tweeking the paper to your professor’s specifications. For that kind of hassle you might as well just write the paper yourself.

Alisse on Thursday, 19 July 2018 7:22 PM
Many thanks for this post.I am a writer and write essays and research articles, if interested, visit my website- https://homeworkfor.me/.

loemrntdherid1 on Monday, 23 July 2018 5:17 PM
Now this is hghly recommeded post for me. I will surely email this to my friend.RegardsLoop polo shirts

tellthebell survey on Thursday, 16 August 2018 10:24 PM
Spoken Burmese is remarkably uniform among Burmese speakers,[7] particularly those living in the Irrawaddy valley, who all use variants of Standard Burmese. The first major reason for the uniformity is the traditional Buddhist monastic education system, which encouraged education and uniformity in language throughout the Upper Irrawaddy valley, the traditional homeland of the Bamar people.

WritingPaperSucks on Friday, 17 August 2018 7:49 AM
I do my own research on different writing services, place some orders there and share my feedback with you, visit my site WritingPaperSucks